Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Madness to the Method


+JMJ

Pardon my pause in posting!  Life has been on triple speed and as of late I've not had much time to pursue the art of blogging.  Nevertheless, here is a poem I wrote for my English professor last semester when she required me to use a particular analytical method on a paper.  While the Method was misery, the poem it produced - in the style of T.S. Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock - was, I think, well worth it.  



The Madness to the Method: A Highly Imperfect Poem for a Highly Infuriating Tool
By Caitlin Clancy

Let us go then, you and I,
Our good senses to defy,
And use methodic madness
For the English teacher’s gladness.

With its tedium
Of broken argument,
The Method wanders with insidious intent,
Into the minds of unsuspecting youth
And rubs its claws
Upon the light of truth.

But do not ask what
More cannot be done –
For, quicker than words run,
There will be time

To murder, uncreate,
That awful thing,
Which, dropped onto your plate,
Has, questioning,

Beat you much
But seldom given aid –
And drowned the voice
Of muse-like fair mermaid

It seems to me that Method
Is a pin
That sticks the panicked poet
To a wall –

In jest, perhaps,
Or some half-cruel sport,
Where aching writer cannot make retort

And I’ll confess me very unsurprised
To find Method on a table, etherized,
And hear its dying voice recall,
Yes, drowning with a dying fall –
But I shall not much miss it,
No, not at all.

1 comment: